In the area between Fort Vechten and Fort Rijnauwen lies the Bunkerpad. This is a walking route along the bunkers that are part of the Nieuwe Hollandse Waterlinie. Few hikers know the story of the Nieuwe Hollandse Waterlinie, the largest national monument and became part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2021. And even fewer know what role and function the bunkers on this Bunkerpad had. Therefore, the aim is to bring the story of the Nieuwe Hollandse Waterlinie, and in particular the Bunkerpad near Bunnik, to the attention of recreational users and residents of this area in an experiential way.
In June 2017, the Province of Utrecht launched the digital walk Discover the Bunkerpad in Bunnik in the RoutAbel app. This 6-kilometre route is specially designed for children aged 8 to 12 and their (grand)parents, to introduce them to part of the Nieuwe Hollandse Waterlinie while walking. This walk in the app brings the landscape, cultural heritage and stories to life. A ‘Crack the Code’ quiz is part of the route. With this, children can win a fun surprise.
The walking route Discover the Bunker trail consist of:
- A digital walking route for children (8-12 years)
- Information panels pointing walkers to the route
- Promotional flyers, available at restaurants along the route and the Waterlinie Museum at Fort near Vechten
- Realization of 4 metal boxes with numerical codes for the ‘Crack the Code’-quiz
- Promotion on various websites
- Follow-up: develop an inspirational spot on the Bunker trail in collaboration with entrepreneurs along the route
“this walk in the app playfully introduces children to cultural heritage. And as a parent, it is great to join the exploration.”
Mariette Pennarts, deputy of the Province of Utrecht
Province of Utrecht