Oud-IJmuiden once was called Nieuw-IJmuiden, a fishing district established after the opening of the North Sea Canal in 1876. Much of Oud-IJmuiden’s history disappeared during World War II and due to demolition in the reconstruction period. Stichting Verhalen Verbinden wants to show the history of Oud-IJmuiden in the landscape. To show something that is actually no longer there.

A 6.5-kilometre walking route with accompanying booklet has been created along vanished or changed and special places. This way, people can search for the soul of Oud-IJmuiden. Oud-IJmuiden wanted to profile itself as Rauw aan Zee: tough because of the port and industry. The design of the 26 panels reflects this. That is why we chose panels made of Corten steel, a material that becomes weathered and acquires a rusty brown colour through weathering. This way, the DNA of IJmuiden is reflected in the final product and thus in the landscape.      

Oud-IJmuiden consists of:

  • Digital walking route of 6,5 km in the RoutAbel app
  • Brochure with written route and content
  • 26 Corten steel lecterns with information panels (design, production and placement) alongside the walking route
  • Postcard


Municipality of IJmuiden
Foundation Verhalen Verbinden